Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Oh Tabatas!!!!!

Ever heard of Tabatas? This is a high intensity, but generally shorter, workout which I had the pleasure of participating in last night. I can barely walk today. Stairs make me want to cry. So for those of you who have been in my house, you know I pretty much spent the entire morning close to tears.
I must add that I had done Bootcamp class before Tabatas, so that is probably why I am in so much pain.
Tabata class just started last night. They are a 30 minute class and we do 6 weeks of cardio and then will switch over and do 6 weeks of strength training. The idea is to go all out on the exercises and you are given minimum recovery time (10-20 seconds). You should only need 30 minutes-45 minutes, twice a week because of the intensity of the workout.
The instructor's name is Jane. I had the opportunity to speak with her after class and found out that she is a marathoner - done 12 full marathons so far. She has also done a few triathalons. She has done the half and full marathon in Fargo a few times each. Very interesting to talk to her. In my mind I have nicknamed her "GI Jane". She looks tough -solid muscle - not one of those runners who are super skinny. Advice she gave me included to do regular strength training to avoid injury, especially to get the glutes strong so your legs don't have to do all the work. You do NOT want a runner's butt! (flat). You want one that sticks out, all perky and full of muscle! So, this is going to be a focus of mine now - to get myself a perky butt. Now I just have to figure out how to make that happen. Suggestions??????

No comments:

Post a Comment